“If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it’s not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.”
Almost all of us suffer from this habit of worrying. We worry about everything – our career, or relationships, our children, that office presentation, that college assignment. Worrying not only strips us of our happiness but also takes away the peace from our life.
Have you ever wondered how different would your life be if you stopped worrying? So, let us start with listing some things that we could stop worrying about for a better life.
- WHAT-IFs. Whenever we are about to start doing something, we start calculating the end results of it. We start analysing what could go wrong. We focus on the ‘What-if’ part of the situation- What if it goes wrong? What if I fail? What if it doesn’t come out as planned? And so on. Focusing on the WHAT-IFs leads us into a vicious circle of worry-negativity-worry-. Rather than focusing on the what-if, we should focus on the HOWs. If we focus on the giving the best to the journey, the result would automatically be proportional.
- Challenges don’t make us weak, they help us grow. When we doubt ourselves and our capabilities, we are afraid of taking up new challenges. Believe in yourself. The only way to escape the fear of challenges is to trample it beneath your feet. So, take up challenges, accomplish them and grow along the journey. Change your perception towards challenges- take them as a stepping stone towards success and not as a hurdle in your path.
- Trying to control everything. Oftentimes, we try to control our lives. We do micro-level planning of things and when that thing doesn’t go as planned, we start doubting ourselves. We fall in the vicious loop of negativity – worry – negativity -.. We cannot control everything. We have power over our mind but not external objects. We should be ready to take up challenges with an open mind.
- Untrue love. We worry about our relationships with our friends, our partners, our lovers. We worry about it because we doubt them, we lack faith in them. Always remember, whatever is yours would come to you. You cannot control somebody else’s feelings towards you. Just give in your best to all the relationships that matter to you. If it doesn’t work out, it’s not your loss; it’s theirs.
- Running after money. Mahatma Gandhi once said, “There is enough for everyone’s need but not enough for everyone’s greed.” Money can buy a bed but not sleep, it can buy toys but not friends, it can buy anything but not happiness. Run after what makes you happy. Happiness would make you content. There is no end to accumulating money. Today it might be 1 million that would make you happy, tomorrow it might be a Billion and so on. But when you are happy, it feels good. Make a wise choice!
These things definitely lead us into worrying unnecessarily. It’s high time that we figure such things things and eliminate them from our lives!
The choice is yours. 😉