Smart habits to stay positive
“We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.”
One of the most important things to work on consciously for our own personal development is to improve our outlook towards life. An attitude that would help us not only look at the world in a positive way during good days. But also to stay positive and constructive even during tough times and keep working towards something better.
In this article, I’m sharing some of the most effective habits to stay positive throughout.
- Find positive in a negative situation. When you are in a negative situation – maybe you made a mistake, you failed in some kind of way –ask yourself questions like: What is one thing that is good about this situation? What is one opportunity within this situation?Ask these questions instead of telling yourself how much you suck and you will realise how helpful this habit can be.
- Develop a positive environment around yourself. To be able to stay positive, it is essential to have influences in your life that support you and lift you up instead of dragging you down. Ask yourself: who are the three most negative people in my life? What are the three negative sources of entertainment/information in my life? Figure out answers to these questions and try to eliminate these negative people/sources from your life. This will make space for more positive people/sources in your life.
- Stop over-thinking. Over-thinking can make a molehill become a big and terrifying mountain in our mind. We lose perspective and negativity surrounds us leading to stress. In such a situation, tell your brain to STOP. Just shout STOP in your brain, take a deep breath and re-focus on the positives of the situation.
- Figure out the worst-possible situation. A common trap when you want to do one of those things is to get lost in vague fears about what could happen if you actually took action. The worst thing that could realistically happen is usually not as scary as the fear that our mind could produce. Finding clarity helps to stay positive.
- Take criticism in the right spirit. One of the most common fears is the fear of criticism. It can hold people back from doing what they want in life because being rejected stings bad. Taking a criticism in the right way can really help. Just listen to the criticism and figure out what you can learn from it. Remember, it isn’t always about it. Sometime, people are lashing out because they are having a bad day so don’t let the negativity get under your skin.
- Start your day in a positive tone. If you start your day lost in future troubles in your mind then the stress, perceived loss of power over your life then negative thoughts will ramp up quickly. Instead have an uplifting conversation with your family or friend or spend some time reading inspiring and helpful articles over breakfast and see how well the day goes.
- Practise mindfulness. When we get lost in the past or future then worries very easily become bigger. And failures and mistakes from the past being replayed over and over in our mind drag us down into pessimism. Live in the moment. Think of the present, the past is gone and the future is uncertain. Just work to make your present happier and all else will follow.
These are habits I find very helpful, I hope these will help you too in more ways than one. Goodluck!