Who doesn’t want to be successful? There isn’t a single person on the face of this earth who doesn’t aspire to be successful in whatever s/he does. But there are some habits that hold us back, that stop us from being successful. They are so deeply ingrained in us that we don’t even realize how we are sabotaging our own success story. So, here are some destructive habits that you need to look out for.
- Doing micro-level thinking on an idea but not acting on it. Most of us come up with some great ideas, but think about it in and out, weigh their pros and cons and do nothing about them. Oftentimes, the pros outweigh the cons but the cons stop us from taking actions. Other times, we are just being lazy and waiting for the ‘right’ time to act. Success comes to people who start right away with whatever they have, wherever they are, without get getting scared or putting it off for later.
- Focusing on the ‘WHAT-IFs’. Focusing on the WHAT-IFs makes us fearful of the defeats/setbacks. If we get scared of what might go wrong, we will never try. Mind you, trying and learning is much-much better than not trying and regretting. Rather than focusing on the result or what might go wrong, we should focus on the WHYs and the HOWs of it. The WHYs give us strong reasons of pursuing what we want to do and the HOWs provide us with the ways of going about it. Success is a journey not a destination. So, focus on making the WHYs and HOWs perfect and the result will fall into place.
- Getting distracted from the purpose of life. When you have a purpose in life and clarity about what you want to achieve, stay committed to it and be persistent. There come some tasks that you have to do but they do not align with your core goals. Accomplish them but don’t get lost in accomplishing all the tasks that come along. Clearly demarcate between important and unnecessary and try to spend as little or absolutely no time on the unnecessary.
- Not getting out of your comfort zone. A comfort zone is a beautiful place but nothing actually grows there. Everything you’ve ever wanted is just one step outside your comfort zone. If you want something you’ve never had, then you’ve got to do something you’ve never done. Take risks. Try something, don’t be scared, don’t limit yourself. The only limit you have is your own perception!
- Nothing ever works out exactly the way you want it to. Hope for the best, but expect less. Appreciate reality, don’t fight it. Don’t let what you expected to happen, blind you from the goodness of what is happening around you. So, expect less and work more.
We aren’t even aware of many of these habits but we are victims to it. Let’s not let these habits sabotage our success. Let’s work towards uprooting them. After all, they are for our own good.
Good luck! 🙂