Stress is an inevitable part of our daily lives. However, without smart habits for dealing with stress, life can be lot more burdensome. You may feel tired before the week has barely begun, be overwhelmed on a daily basis, get headaches or migraines too often and even start to feel drained out.
So what can you do about it?
In this article, I’m sharing some tips and habits that will help you to live a less stressful life.
- Single-task. You’ll feel better and less stressed if you just do one thing at a time. This will make it easier to focus and to do a job of higher quality right away.
- Keep less tasks on your plate. Use a very short daily list of just the 1-3 most important tasks. It works really well. Saves you from getting very little done or from doing a lot.
- Don’t over-think. Don’t create extra drama, over-think or create a problem out of something that doesn’t matter much. If it wouldn’t matter after 5 years from now, don’t waste more than 5 minutes thinking about it.
- Ask. Reading minds is very hard. Misunderstandings will be plentiful if you try to do it. So communicate instead. Ask instead of guessing. Result? Lot less conflicts, lesser wastage of time and energy and lesser negativity.
- Balance work and breaks. These go hand-in-hand and over-doing one would lead to lesser productivity and greater stress. Work for 50 minutes with full focus and then take a complete break of 10 minutes. This ensures less stress, relaxed mind and greater productivity.
- Set clear boundaries. Don’t mix your personal and professional life. Don’t bring work to home and don’t take personal issues to work. Follow this for a less complicated and sorted life.
- Make time for your passion. Whatever you love to do, make sure you set off some time for it regularly in your schedule. Because these things will relieve stress and energize you. They keep us alive. So, stop making excuses and make time!
- Eliminate. Say no to one or a few things to have more time and energy for what really matters to you in your professional and private life? Re-evaluate what you usually do in a day or week and see if there is something you would like to stop doing.
- Be early. When you are early, you don’t have to think of excuses for being late. This spares you time and energy so that you can work with better efficiency. Also, being early makes time for things whereas being late takes away time form other things.
- Cancel out distractions at your work. Stay away from social media apps, put your phone at silent, keep the door of your cabin/room shut. By doing so, you’ll be less distracted, it is easier to think clearly and you’ll feel less stressed.
- Stay away from perfectionism. Go for good enough instead and when you are there then you are done. And can move on to the next task or project. Set this humanly bar to measure success. Perfectionism leads to procrastination and holds us back. Just keep going because that is what matters.
Yes, these things are very obvious. But when you manage these areas in a good way in practice then that makes a huge difference for your mood, energy, outlook towards life and how well you can handle stress. Hope they help you!