“Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you’ll be criticized anyway. You’ll be damned if you do and damned if you don’t.”
Many of us try to avoid situations where we can be rejected because obviously, rejections hurt. It might be a rejection in a relationship or a job or anything else. But is avoiding the solution? Running away from things we fear is never the solution. Such situations and fears need to be worked upon.
So, here are some habits and tips that would help to lessen the sting of rejection.
- Don’t push away the feelings. Trying to force optimism and suppressing the actual feelings would be of no help. Take time to process the thoughts and feelings that you experience during a rejection. Accepting those feelings will help in getting over the rejection faster and would be less painful in the long run.Trying to push them away at the moment, would make them come back at unexpected times leading to undue mood swings.
- Be grateful for what you have in life. Thinking about the people, the passions or hobbies, the sometimes taken for granted things like a roof over your head and that you don’t have to go hungry would definitely bring a smile on your face. Tapping into the feelings of gratitude helps to give a perspective in life. The feeling of a complete failure gets overshadowed when you realise what all you still have in life.
- Don’t blame yourself. It’s easy to fall into the trap of thinking there is something wrong with you if you get rejected in something. That’s just how life is. So see if you can learn something from the situation but don’t put the blame of everything that happens on yourself.
- Learn from your rejections. be honest with yourself to increase the chances of success and reduce the risk of rejection in the future. Maybe there’s something you can improve about your interview skills when you’re at a job interview? Or about your conversation skills when you’re on a date? This will help you improve.
- Remember : this time shall pass. A rejection might force you to think negatively. You might start thinking that this is permanent and that you will always get rejected. Always remember, nothing is permanent and the difficult time shall pass too. You just have to hold on.
- Keep going. Don’t let rejections stagnate you. Keep making plans to work on other things or to improve in some other areas. Only the go-getters want what they get. Stagnation leads nowhere, it only means decay.
These tips definitely would prove to be helpful. So, give up the negativity and start working, start improving and keep going. You are meant for better and something better awaits you, promise!
Ending this article with this song running in the back of my mind – “Don’t you worry child, see heaven’s got a plan for you.” – keeps me upbeat. Give a try 😉