As busy human beings, we are often disappointed by what we have, and so we think we need more. More comfort, more validation, more certainty, more possessions, more food, more excitement and the list goes on. But if we always want more, more and more, we’ll never believe we have enough.
The truth is, life is a continual journey, constantly evolving and changing, and the resources we possess at any given moment are exactly what we need to take the next step forward. In other words, we always have enough. But we have to be aware of this, we must be grateful for where we are and what we have, to make the best of it.
In the haste of our busy, stressful lives we neglect many of the fundamentals of gratitude, and thus miss out entirely on gratitude’s most positive benefits. Thus, the mantras below can serve as good refreshers for all of us. Just pick one and repeat it silently to yourself for 60 seconds whenever you catch yourself thinking that you need something more than what you have at the moment.
- When life is good, enjoy it. Don’t go looking for something better. Happiness never comes to those who don’t appreciate what they have.
- The greatest secret to peace of mind is letting every life situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the very best of it.
- The richest person isn’t the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least. Wealth is a mindset. Want less and appreciate more today.
- Happiness does not start when “this, that or the other thing” is resolved. Happiness is what happens now, when you appreciate what you have.
- When life gives you every reason to be negative, think of one good reason to be positive. There’s always something to be grateful for.
- Be grateful for your life. For your health, your family, your friends, and your home. Many people don’t have these things.
- Happiness comes a lot quicker when you stop complaining about your problems and you start being grateful for all the problems you don’t have.
- No, you won’t always get what you want. But remember this: There are lots of people who will never have what you have right now.
- Remind yourself how fortunate you are to be experiencing this moment right here, right now. The more you appreciate it, the better it’ll be.