Everyone procrastinates, it does not matter who you are. Whether it is snuggling into the cosy blanket for 5 more minutes, or snoozing that alarm for 10 minutes of extra sleep, or watching just one episode of your favourite sitcom before starting with the main […]
Month: October 2017
Most of us maintain a TO-DO list to keep our productivity in check. A TO-DO list not only helps helps us plan but also helps us in prioritizing the important tasks and eliminating the unnecessary tasks. Similarly, a TO-DON’T list helps keep a check on […]
Not all tasks on our TO-DO list are interesting or exciting but we have to get them done anyhow. We try to put them off until they get on our nerves and disrupt the functioning of other important tasks lined up for the day.
Here are some ways to get them done with ease. Check them out.
- Focus on the benefits. Oftentimes, we focus our mind on how boring the task is, which makes us want to put it off. Try to focus on the benefits of it. Benefits of something are like rewards we get after getting the done. Focusing on the benefits acts like a motivation in getting the not-so-fun tasks done. And for the rare times when there are no benefits attached to a task but you have to get them done anyhow, don’t think about them much and take small steps to get them done. Just think about the sense of accomplishment you will get on successfully completing a daunting task!
- Set up your timer. If you find it very difficult to get started with that not-so-fun task of yours, put a timer to it. Take out 15 minutes and set your timer to 15 minutes. Shut the distractions and just focus on that task for that time. 15 minutes is a very little time and won’t bother you much so working on it for 15 minutes is not a big deal. After the end of these 15 minutes, you are free to do anything! Just devote a mere 15 minute slot to it.
- Reward yourself. When a task is very boring in itself, you can add an element of fun in it by promising yourself a reward after the completion of the task. Rewards act like motivation and create that drive in you for getting that task done. Reward can be anything like a dessert, or a break for 10 minutes or anything of your choice. Anything that would drive you in completing that task, just assign that reward to yourself after you complete the task!
These are some ways that ensure that you complete all the tasks on your TO-DO list irrespective of how boring they are. They are definitely going to help you get going. Definitely, worth a try!
When our motivation is down in the dumps, it is natural to feel upset. As a result, negative thoughts start enveloping our mind. The feeling of failure and self-doubt starts upping and it becomes nearly impossible to lead a good day. The more we think, […]
One of the those traits that everyone desires is none other than – Productivity. How we wish there was some magic spell like ‘Expelliarmus’ or ‘Avada Kedavra’ to become more productive. Unlike the popular notion, there is no such magic spell or magic potion that […]
“Worrying doesn’t take away tomorrow’s troubles, it takes away today’s peace.”
One of the the most destructive habit loop that people get trapped in is worrying. We worry about every single thing. We worry about our work, our relationships, our future, our past, the argument that we could have won, etc. etc. and the list goes on and on. All this drains us of energy, fills us with negativity and leaves us restless.
So, in this article I’m sharing some tips that will help you deal with this habit effectively.
- Focus on the ‘NOW’. Worries are a result of over-thinking. When we spend too much of your energy and time imagining the future or reliving the past then that often leads to a lot of worries.
- What to do?
Focus on the ‘now’. There is a tomorrow to care of all other things. For the times, your mind starts all the over-thinking, just shout ‘stop’ in your mind. This will help you to stop all the unnecessary over-thinking. And would stop the worrying there and then.
- Ask yourself : how many of the things I feared would happen, actually happened? Oftentimes, we imagine things going downhill and start worrying about it. But that things went absolutely well and that worry we did, was all in vain! Most things you fear will happen never happen. They are just monsters in your own mind. And if they happen then they will most often not be as painful or bad as you expected. Worrying is most often just a waste of time.
- What to do?
Always, always remind yourself of this thing. Whatever you are imagining, positive or negative, isn’t really going to happen. So stop worrying and live in the moment.
- Refocus your mind. Instead of thinking and worrying, refocus your mind to what can be done in the present. If you are stuck in a situation that is adding to your worry, then instead of worrying about its possibility, focus on handling that situation. Think of ways to successfully come out of the situation. This will help you to constructively use your energy in the right places. This will shift your focus from worrying unnecessarily to brainstorming and making things work. What can be better than this? 😉
These are some tips that have helped me fight my habit of over-thinking. I hope it does good to you too!
Keep calm! 😉
Some days are easy-going, things are going as planned, there is nothing much on the plate and everything can be taken care of easily. But on other days, there is so much to do in so little time, things don’t seem like falling into place […]
“Close some doors not because of pride, incapacity or arrogance, simply because they no longer lead you somewhere.” -Paul Coelho I think life was easier back in the 90s. There were no smartphones, no computers, no internet, just video games and TV […]
There are beliefs that are holding us back. Some of these beliefs were told to us in our early age by our elders and they are stuck in our mind till date, some got stuck in mind because of a failure/setback and we assumed it to hold true eternally. We assumed we can never succeed in the same thing that we failed in some time back. Some of these beliefs mushroom up because of self-doubt in our abilities. But all these beliefs have some things in common other than the fact that they are holding us back. What are these common grounds and how can they help us fight against such beliefs? Let’s get started.
- Any belief that is holding you back can be easily proved as FALSE. Yes, you read that right. Just think of one belief that is holding you back. Think of the moments it has held you back. Now, think of one moment where you actually encountered something totally opposite of it. Some time, we think that we won’t be able to do a task because of this belief in our mind that is holding us back. But there come times, when we actually are able to do it and it comes as a surprise to us. We consider it as a coincidence or luck. But that wasn’t merely luck or a coincidence. So, think of that moment when you had a small victory over your belief. That was the moment where your belief was proved to be FALSE. And if it can happen once, it can happen any number of times.
And if such a moment hasn’t come yet, you can make it happen now. Its’ all in your head. So, go ahead prove it FALSE for your own self.
- Our brain is wired to be afraid of failures, so it makes excuses. Often times, our failures or setbacks condition us in such a way that we stop trying. The fear of failures/setbacks holds us back from trying. If we have a past experience of a failure in something, our brain tends to make excuses to avoid discomfort to us. Nobody wants to fail and hence we stop trying. The biggest mistake that we can do is not trying something because of a past failure. Always remember, failure is a sign that we are trying. Learn from your failures and move ahead. If plan A doesn’t work out, don’t be disheartened as there are 25 more alphabets to go. There is no end of possibilities. The end of possibilities is our inability to think. So, think out of the box, from a new angle, try out new perspectives. There’s no end to it. Stop making excuses. Stop being fooled by the brain.
- Belief is like a feeling and feelings can be altered. Simply put, a belief is a feeling. A feeling that we acquire when we fail, a feeling that has been taught to us by our elders or a feeling of fear of failure when we doubt ourselves. If we change our perspective, a feeling can be changed. If we are we feeling sad, we should alter it by doing something cheerful. If we are feeling incompetent, we should do something to gain a sense of accomplishment. If we have a belief that is doing us no good, we should prove it wrong, change our perspective and abandon it. All it needs is determination and a will to do it. If you think you can be lean because fat is in your genes. Bro! start working out for 15 minutes a day. Gradually increase the time to a comfortable limit. And you will be amazed how your belief of poor genes turns out to be wrong. It seems impossible because you don’t want to step out of your comfort zone whilst your mind makes excuses. Start small, prove it wrong and abandon that belief, once and for all!
“Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.” We all are quite aware of the importance of including good habits in our life, habits that are constructive and gradually lead us towards personal growth. Speaking of habits, there are some […]